On this fine -7°F afternoon I started my car, unplugged the block heater, and walked back to the house to hang up the extension cord. (I know, yawn.) But out of the corner of my eye, I noticed someone slowly walking toward me, so I looked up—right into the enormous face of a moose! 4 or 5 feet away at most. I gasped and in a split second debated whether to back away slowly or just get the hell out of there. I bolted (knowing that might be a bad decision but unable to stand my ground in front of this massive animal), ran back to the front door that I had just locked, and knocked as hard as I could for Stephanie to let me back in since my keys were still in the ignition.
Once safely inside, I tried to catch my breath as we watched the moose casually continue to cross our yard and begin chomping on the neighbor's tree.
This gal was HUGE! She dwarfed my neighbor's car:

And she spent a good ten minutes eating that tree:

I just can't believe the moose walked right up to me! It certainly was an exciting and terrifying close call. I'll have to pay more attention from now on...
No comments:
Post a Comment