Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Turning Point

With great sadness, I report that my dear friends Tori and Ryan have moved away from Alaska, seeking new adventures in Alexandria, Egypt... We spent most of our free time over the past 7 months together, and I will miss them immensely. I wish them all the best and know we'll meet again somewhere in the world.

Group shot of the crew: Paul, me, Ryan, Tori, and Cillian
Another picture of all of us, with the kids at T&R's Bytchin' Egyptian farewell party:
Before they left, Paul and Cillian and I were discussing how much we're going to miss Tori and Ryan, and one of us joked that we're going to need to recruit for replacements because our group will fall apart without them. This turned into the idea to write a fake personals ad to recruit replacements, in which we'd describe Tori and Ryan's beloved attributes, interpersonal "skills", etc., intended as desired "qualifications" for new candidates. We read them the ad at their going away party for laughs, but also to share the things we love about them and what we'll miss! Of course, this was all very innocent until Cillian argued that we have to actually post the ad, otherwise what's the point?! Since then, we've gotten some unusual responses, including messages from a few couples relocating to Anchorage and looking for friends on craigslist and 1 nomination for the "best of craigslist." It's been an interesting social experiment so far, to say the least...

I guess we just miss our friends. Bon voyage!

1 comment:

kate said...

I miss tori and ryan too! Except that it's been longer and I'm good at hiding it....

ps- applying for a summer job in anchorage again, i'll keep you posted